4.19.2013

The beginning of a new season...starts with an end to the old one

tenderness a little dish of springtime delicacies Endlich, haben wir den Frühling entdeckt! We finally found springtime!
a peek at my latest collage/painting. stripes really seem to be my thing lately!

My girls (and their mama!) have been so thrilled this week that we could finally venture outside without coats and hats! We like to count the crocuses that grow wild around our neighborhood. Yesterday I finally caved to their enthusiasm and allowed the girls to pick just a few for me. And of course, the charm of this season inspired me to create a bit of my very own spring magic. This is just a peek at my newest collage--the first in a series of flowers, still in the works. Hope to add a print of this to my Etsy shop next week!

We savor our daily walks home from Kindergarten, especially now that spring has finally arrived and we only have a few more weeks to enjoy it on this side of the Atlantic. If I could take the tree-lined path and the quaint nooks and hiding places of our little corner of Germany home with us to Colorado, I so would!

Since announcing my pregnancy and our move back to the States two weeks ago, the reality of both has come crashing down upon me in alternating floods of excitement and tears. It feels like I can barely put two thoughts together as I pack and try to process the changes that are coming. So I appreciate all your kind words of encouragement and congratulations, my friends! And your patience with me as silence tends to reign more often than not these days on my blog. I can't tell you how much it helps us get through the more "bitter" part of moving again, knowing all the "sweetness" that lies on the other side--all of the people who are truly happy for us and sharing in our joy!

Today I forced myself to sit down and connect the thoughts, because I want to tell you a bit of the story:

You never know what surprises life has in store for you. Just when you think you're settled and content, God whispers in your ear that He is doing a "new thing." That's what happened to us at the end of 2012. I had begun to feel a restlessness at the end of the summer, but then I wrote this post, celebrating our two-year "Germany anniversary" and the new sense of peace I was feeling. That's when the whispers began. It was a whole new brand of homesickness--one I had not yet experienced. It wasn't a desperate feeling or a sudden need to run away, to escape. It was just a quiet sense of knowing. All this time I've been learning that no matter where we go, we carry with us a home in our hearts and in the hearts of the ones we love. But suddenly I knew that this same love could also carry me back to the place and to the people with whom my heart most feels at home. And since there will be more of those people soon--I'm going to become an aunt this summer!!!--the choice became clear.

I kept quiet about it for a while, didn't even mention it to my husband for at least a month, thinking the feeling would go back into hibernation as it usually does. Instead, the peace grew more palpable, the pull towards "home" stronger and stronger, a sense of belonging there greater than I had ever known. Turns out that in his own way, Tobi had been feeling it too. Of course, he is German and here we live closer to his side of our family. But Tobi lived in the US from the ages of 17 to 27--most of the years of his adult life, and nine of the nearly twelve years of our life together. Anyway, there wasn't even much of a "discussion" about it. It was simply one of those moments in our marriage when we were almost instantly of the same mind: we would be going home sometime in early 2014. Actaully, it was a moment not unlike the one in which we knew that we were suppsed to move to Germany. And even though regret is often such a tempting place, in no way do we regret our time here; rather, we cherish it. Our hearts are even bigger now because of the precious friends and family whom we love in Hamburg! We had to live in Germany for a while to figure it out, but now we know where we belong.

Of course, the timeline has been pushed up a bit since we are now figuring one more Schilling into the adventure! And quite a few other things served to confirm this direction for our family and show us that the time is now rather than later--even when most of this looks absolutely crazy to our earthly eyes. But we say, "Yes, Lord!," trusting in His provision and in His promise that "the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are unseen are eternal" (2 Corinthians 4:18). 

23 comments:

  1. In my experience, that quiet sense of knowing is always the one to trust. The loud and brash ideas I have often turn out to be flashes in the pan, but when an idea is quiet and calm something beautiful and lasting comes out of it. So glad you are listening to that still voice. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am glad that you have a peace about the situation, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything in life has a course to run and when its time to move on your heart tells you so, you just have to listen to that inner voice, as you have. Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope your move goes smoothly. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photographs, and the collage already looks gorgeous. It's so good to know where one truly belongs, and being able to live there. I haven't quite found my true place yet. It all sounds like it's going to be an exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm so happy for your news about a new baby,,,congratulations! I hope your move goes smoothly too. God is so wonderful to give you and your husband a peace about what to do. Your girls are so adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. alles Gute für Dich und Deine Familie!
    Es kommt immer so wie es kommen muss!

    Happy PPF!
    lg aus Österreich

    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post and so happy for you ~ Beautiful photography ~ and that whisper does come ~ Enjoy ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. SUCH a beautiful story, Sadee! I am so completely and utterly excited about you coming back!!!! The irony is that we're going to Colorado for vacation this year but I'm afraid it's before you return. Ah well...I'll be thinking of you while I'm there. :D And my fingers are crossed that you'll eventually make a trip this way. :D :D :D (<---see how happy I am)
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of changes but beautiful ones, congratulations. Your three dimensional painting is wonderful. Happy PPF xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a sweet, adorable photo of your girls, and gorgeous watercolor collage art work! so glad you and your hubby are on the same page and made your decision without turmoil. good luck with the preparations to come home to the US! happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a moving story and precious pictures Sadee. Your dimensional work is wonderful too. You have so much excitement going on right now, and the best of it is that you have the support of your family. Be well-and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sadee, such a beautifully written post - and congratulations on the new little one coming - love the flower piece you are working on, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, lots of changes and so wonderful to be on the same page. Your photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lov3ely piece you are working on!
    So enjoyed your tory of the genesis of your upcoming move to thestates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet photos and your collage looks so neat! Congrats on your exciting news and good luck with all the changes. God works in amazing ways. :)
    Visiting from Studio JRU.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So wonderful the photos of your girls and your "counting flowers" :-)
    The collage looks wonderful already!
    I wish you all the best for the future, wherever it may be.
    Happy PPF
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the hearts on the shoes and the beautiful handmade/handpainted (I think) flower. My best to you in both your pregnancy and your move. We should all be so diligent to heed the voice of God as He whispers in our ears.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful story! i love to hear how He works His plans in our lives. looking forward to following this new journey ahead for you, sadee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hopefully the moving will go fast and smooth for your family, and congrats on the baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pics, beautiful artwork! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed your beautiful story and art work. All the best with your move back to the states and congratulations to the both of you and the girls : )
    p.s. luv those photos as well .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Moving is such an intriguing phenomenon... it taps into pretty much every emotion that exists, and it all happens so suddenly that it is hard to process it all at the same time. We've been in four cities in nine years, twice with an infant in tow... it is quite a ride!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my...your work just keeps getting more and more beautiful every time I find you here. And your words....I can't even begin to tell you how encouraging, how much I needed these very exact words as we begin the process of letting go of our home of 18 years to move into a new season of our life. And yes, that feeling that He is guiding it all, opening doors, gently closing others so the leap won't feel so high. The way He brings so much tenderness to the places in our hearts that are most raw and torn. He is such a good good God....I can't wait to see whee this new season takes you. Sending you much light and peace during this time. XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!