3.09.2012

Let it Pour

It's raining again
"Let it Pour," March 2012--mixed media collage
(vintage and decorative paper, watercolor, acrylic and graphite on canvas)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water,
And the nursling of the Sky;
I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores;
I change, but I cannot die.
For after the rain when with never a stain
The pavilion of Heaven is bare,
And the winds and sunbeams with their convex gleams
Build up the blue dome of air,
I silently laugh at my own *cenotaph,*
And out of the caverns of rain,
Like a child from the womb, like a ghost from the tomb,
I arise and unbuild it again.

--from "The Cloud"
by Percy Bysshe Shelley

In college I majored in Literature; the Romantic Poets were always my favorites. I found this Shelley poem  today (read all 6 stanzas here) and it reminded me of how much I used to love doing my homework (I have always been a "nerd" in that way)--reading and contemplating poems like this one, picking them apart and trying to make sense of it all.

A *cenotaph* is a monument to honor the dead, which has been built somewhere other than where the body is actually buried. It comes from the Greek word "kenotaphion" which is a combination of "kenos" (empty) + "taphos" tomb. In the final stanza of this poem the cloud represents resurrection--and the "dome" of the blue sky is only a memorial, an empty monument, one built in vain because the storms will always raise back to life, will keep coming back to disrupt the calm.  But the storms of life are connected to what?  To rebirth, to resurrection.  WOW!

I created this piece last week as I was coming out of a "low" that lasted the whole month of February. Must be because spring is coming!!! Somehow the dreary little rainclouds began to symbolize the hope that can come even from the storms of life (and maybe especially from those storms).

It's raining again detail

We build our shrines to happiness and perfection, trying to capture the meaning of life in our successful accomplishments, in our well-behaved families, in our spotless homes and stylish clothes.  All of these things are good--like a sunny day without a cloud in the sky.  But we tend to want to hide our flaws when they crop up like storm-clouds (I know I do!), pretend that clear skies are all that exist, or at least are all that should exist!  When the truth is that it's the dreary fog and the muddy rain that nourish us--if we let them, the hard times in life build the character and wisdom we need to handle the good times with grace and to cherish them for all they are worth.

So I say, Let it Pour.

Let's open our hearts to the "resurrection" of the cloud--learn from our mistakes, take heart even in our disappointments, lean on Strong Arms when our hearts are torn in two--and rise up to soak in as much Sun as we can while we get ready for the next challenge.  Bring it on!


A Beautiful weekend to you--blue skies or gray. 






Linking up with Studio JRU, Paint Party (Happy Birthday, PPF!!!)

39 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sister. Needed to hear your words today. Not sure I'm ready to shout "let it pour" like you, but trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amie, I know it's easier said than done. I can shout it today because the rain has let up for a bit ;). Shouting it every second of every day--even when I'm soaking wet--well, that's another thing all together!

      Delete
  3. Hi Sadee..Thanks For Sharing Such Beautiful Words! Hugs Of Georgia Sunshine, Terri Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs, Terri, and thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  4. Wise words to reflect on and a beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful piece and I learnt something new too. Love the waves. Makes me want to be by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I've been craving the beach...North Germany is turning me into a summer person ;). I NEED SOME SUN!!!

      Delete
  6. What a beautifully inspiring and poetic post. I loved doing my homework too.....so from one nerd to another....please don't ever stop being who you are.....because it's beautiful.

    I'd like to think I'm somewhat of a beautiful mess too!

    ciao bella.....your art is equals your words.

    Creative CArmelinA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmelina, thank you for your encouraging words! Sounds like you are a kindred spirit :).

      Delete
  7. Hmmmmm, this was so refreshing, like the rains we have been receiving in Texas, holding the promise of a bounty of wildflower blooms...thanks for sharing, and glad your spirits are lifting, tho' I think you have totally mined "the treasures of darkness" from February...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, thank you Cindy. I love that--the "treasures of darkness." I hope I NEVER stop mining those!

      Delete
  8. Excellent post ~ great attitude ~ and lovely art work ~thanks, namaste, carol (A Creative Harbor) ~ Happy Weekend ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get great party using mixed techniques. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again, a beautiful work of art. So wonderful, Sadee.
    Catherine Denton

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the poetry. I enjoyed literature and poetry in school too. (also re-learning when I was homeschooling my children)I love the colors you used in this piece. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! I can't wait to re-learn it all too--homeschooling isn't allowed in Germany, so we'll have to do it after the girls get home from their regular school day. They are sure gonna love me once they're teenagers and they've got tons of homework PLUS homework from their Mama! Ha! But I've got to make sure they learn all the important history and literature in ENGLISH too! :)

      Delete
  12. Sadee, your work is so beautiful!! I always look forward to a visit to your blog.
    i love the different textures so much... happy PPF! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and inspiring post with lots of food for thought! And I loved that I learned a new word too! :) Great work of art - loving those waves!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a great painting and the textures are pretty wonderful, those cloudy are lovely and glad you are felling better and brighter... Shelley would make anyone feel better I think... my daughter is just discovering the Romantic poets and it is fun to watch her fall in love with them... she is also reading Wilde and loving it all, especially Dorian Gray... such a nice time when they get old enough to read books you have loved and you get to share them all over again... bit off track, but just the mention of literature makes me happy...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey! I love to see young people falling in love with literature!

      Delete
  15. Love the layout of it. Fun elements and great color combo. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your piece of mixed media. The papers enhance the overall structure. I love to use decorative papers too.
    February is always such a low month - here's to spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how the painting turned out! Wonderful poem to accompany it and great post Sadee!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I'm always amazed at how our Lord works. I just sat down at my computer with my bible and Streams In The Desert. I was working on my thoughts because I'm speaking at a Nursing Home tomorrow and the subject the Lord gave me early this morning was The Storms of Life. I opened up face book checking to see if you had posted anything on your blog and there it was
    " Let It Pour" . The poam will be a little much for the group I will be speaking with but I hope you don't mind me using your title and some of your thoughts.
    Love You Dad

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that your work is inspired by literature!
    This is absolutely beautiful.
    Love the little sketch of the windmill almost hidden in there! :)
    Great combinations of paper and paint!
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  20. i just love the little windmill vignette...happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sadee,
    I'm a true believer that when all is dark and dreary, our resilient souls somehow know to amplify the positive inner visions, suddenly everything is aglow in gold.
    Luv your piece and post....happy to see you are doing fine.

    P.s. hubby is flying to Germany tonight....I think he will enjoy it, doesn't like leaving the family that much.
    take care,
    Annabelle ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your husband is enjoying Germany! Thank you for your lovely words--"...suddenly everything is aglow in gold." I love this!

      Delete
  22. Beautiful Sadee! I so agree... the rain is nourishing. The hard times do bring wisdom. Great attitude to accept the rain when it comes. :) Love the colors in this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what a powerful poem! Your mixed media conveys the message perfectly! Lovely work! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  24. It must rain sometimes...yes? So that we appreciate the sunshine that much more :)

    This piece is beyond gorgeous!!! I love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Cameron! I think it's a back-and-forth: we welcome the rain and then we welcome the sun when it's over. Thank you for your sweet words about my art! :)

      Delete
  25. This is a wonderful post, Sadee!
    Beautiful artwork and powerful words...
    Bring it on, indeed :)

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I always enjoy hearing from you.

      Delete
  26. I am really getting sucked into your pieces! I am your biggest fan, did you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest fan?! How wonderful is that!? Thank you Daniele! :)

      Delete
  27. I love the collage. It almost looks like applique on a quilt. Pretty. Blessings, Janet PPF

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!