3.16.2012

I've got MORE sunshine...

I've got sunshine cloud detail
"I've Got Sunshine," mixed-media on canvas. (Acrylic, watercolor and graphite with
hand-painted papers, decorative papers, and vintage notebook paper, all hand-cut and assembled.)

I've got sunshine cloudy detail
I drew the clouds and cut them from watercolor paper I had stained
with coffee, tea and paint and etched with a needle and craft knife while still wet.

I've got sunshine corner detail
The German phrases translate, "It is cloudy" and "You are my sunshine."

I've got sunshine
The final result is quirky, imperfect and deliciously grungy--
with a radiant, childlike joy that shines more brightly, I think, because of the mess!

I woke up this morning in a panic because I thought I had overslept. The sun was so bright--brighter than it's been in months! But no, it was only 6:45; an early start to a gloriously beautiful day in Hamburg. We had NINE FULL HOURS of sunshine today! This makes me happy, makes me marvel (momentarily) that I could ever feel unhappy about anything!

Now that dusk has fallen, it's gloomily overcast and chilly again. Perhaps it's best, for now the mood better matches the sentiment of this mixed-media piece that I finished yesterday. See work-in-progress photos here. This is the second piece in a series--I'm starting work on the third tonight! See the first piece in the series here.

   - - - - - - -
Since I was up early enough that the girls were still sleeping, I took a few minutes for some reading in my favorite devotional, Streams in the Desert, by L.B. Cowman. And guess what? Another cloud poem found me--another one (like the one I posted last week) about the Life that often comes to us, disguised as a cloud of suffering--it was such timely encouragement and goes so well with this painting that I just had to share it:

"Have you a cloud?
It is Jehovah's triumph car: in this
He's riding to you, o'er the wide abyss
It is the robe in which He wraps His form;
For He does dress Him with the flashing storm.
It is the veil in which He hides the light
Of His fair face, too dazzling for your sight.
God's coming in that cloud."

"God still has His secrets - hidden from 'the wise and learned' Luke 10:21). Do not fear these unknown things, but be content to accept the things you cannot understand and to wait patiently. In due time He will reveal the treasures of the unknown to you - the riches of the glory of the mystery. Recognize that the mystery is simply the veil covering God's face.

Do not be afraid to enter the cloud descending on your life, for God is in it. And the other side is radiant with His glory. 'Do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the suffering of Christ' (1 Peter 4:12-13). When you feel the most forsaken and lonely, God is near. He is in the darkest cloud. Forge ahead into the darkness without flinching, knowing that under the shelter of the cloud, God is waiting for you." 

(I couldn't remember what today's date was this morning, so this is actually an excerpt from the March 14 reading, page 113 of the updated version of Streams in the Desert.)

Sometimes just the right words of encouragement come at just the right time, don't they?

Praying you find the encouragement you need this weekend too,




Linking up with Studio JRU, Paint Party, and Faith Filled Friday

23 comments:

  1. Loving your mixed media piece. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! Yes indeed~ God does send words to us. He is in the midst of it all. Not waiting on the other side...... So thankful for the sunshine for you my friend. I dont think I would do well in Germany. I think Florida is a perfect place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sadee, love this piece...glad to see your feeling happier... the weather here too is fantastic... it's been a long cold winter... :) so glad you popped by...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this interesting composition with excellent colors and a nice design, very creative, lovely clouds, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic Mixed Media Creation ~ Glad you got sun! ~ namaste, Carol ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece is wonderful! I love the tea and coffee stained clouds especially! How lovely that you got 9 hours of sunshine-we don't get that here even in July!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious and youth work. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your work. So glad you had a sunny day! It makes all the difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sadee, I read Streams in the Desert every day. It's my favorite too, has been for a long time! It's amazing how much comfort and encouragement I get from reading it. God's word is like a seed and if we plant it in our heart, it will bloom! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful and amazing mixed media work!
    And a very encouraging post. :)
    ♥♥♥
    Happy PPF!!
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love your piece! It would look amazing in my living room. I just put lots of orange in it! I used to read Streams in the Dessert a lot. It's packed away in Africa right now. Thanks for sharing such a great excerpt from it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops! My husband must have used my computer and signed in to his account. The jeremy.clay.price comment is mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vibrant color with pattern, I'm enjoying it very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your piece came out beautiful, warm sunny spring colors and the clouds are awesome! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. They sure do... just when HE knows we need them! Love this piece Sadee. It is gorgeous. Love the grunge! Beautiful words, thank you so much for sharing them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post Sadee.
    This is a beautiful composition and design and like your choices in the colours.
    I Adore those little notes you incorporated into the clouds.
    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another GORGEOUS painting Sadee. It is so pretty. Beautiful post too. I have to constantly work on my patience and remember that all things come in HIS timing, in the way HE has planned for me. :) Thank you for such encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just fantastic. It looks so happy to me, using the blue lined school paper for the rays was inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It turned out superbly! I really love all the aspects of this one (grunge and all). It's charming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has taken me forever to get to visit this week, but so glad I got here and saw that beautiful piece shining out at me... so lovely... so happy you have some sunshine finally and hope you have weeks and weeks of it to come...xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Your mixed media pieces make me want to return to quilting. I love that you blended your art and the Word. This also resonated with me, "Do not be afraid to enter the cloud descending on your life, for God is in it. And the other side is radiant with His glory." It's the message I try to live by, kind of the beat in my head. (since while it is the beat in my head it doesn't always mean I'm listening.) Thanks for the reminder. I'm here from the Faith Filled Friday Hop, and I'll be back.
    Peace and good to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! My husband shared your site with me. I hope you don't mind I shared you on Facebook. Keep making beautiful art!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!