11.01.2011

Storytellers: Ordinary, Mythical Life

"Our Lives are at once ordinary and mythical. We live and die, age beautifully or full of wrinkles. We wake in the morning, buy yellow cheese, and hope we have enough money to pay for it. At the same instant, we have these magnificent hearts that pump through all sorrow and all winters we are alive on the earth. We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded."
                                           --Natalie Goldberg, from Writing Down the Bones

fall leaves
For Texture Tuesday: Processed with 2 layers of "Autumn Burst" and 1 layer of "And Then Some"

The crisp fall air is alive with myth and magic.  The changing colors of the trees makes life a tangible wonderland as shimmering gold fills up the windows and leaves crackle underfoot.  Each leaf takes on a life of its own and is appreciated apart from the tree--but as a microcosm of the tree--each with color unique and veins like branches, beautifully aged with tears and scars.

How do you make even your ordinary moments "mythical?" Perhaps the answer lies in telling the story.  Life is what we make it--the way we preserve precious moments and capture the magical, mythical quality of even things as simple as leaves.  

But before we can tell the story, we must look at life and really see it--record our fleeting glimpses of Heaven in our hearts and on scraps of paper with mindfulness and complete surrender to the moment.  Because just as a tree is composed of leaves and a body is composed of cells, a life is composed of minutes--each one integral to the whole.




9 comments:

  1. Beautiful leave line-up! Don´t you just love the colors of autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous photo...your blog is beautiful. I'm so happy I found it - I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture is stunning. And I love the idea of Storytellers being about making ordinary moments mythical. I think that's what it's become for me (as well as celebrating other artists).

    Whatever you make it, I am enjoying having a "story" to share each week and reading the others.
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this was an incredible shot of the leaves.

    Your work is amazing. Hope you are enjoying your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sadee
    Fall is such magic isn't it?
    I love this story telling idea, and so glad I stumbled upon it
    I like the idea of you giving us a prompt...something to write about, a theme so to speak.
    using a visual is great
    I like that we can add out own elements to through photo, art and whatever other medium we create in...
    Cant wait to see what you have in store for us.

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo of the leaves lined up is very creative. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew.... now that Down Syndrome awareness month is over maybe I will have enough "me" left over to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your image and the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. I don't know how to do the whole link thing though.....

    I've heard that Natalie Goldberg lives in Taos (about a 45 minute drive from me) but am not sure. I need to get that book!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!