11.04.2011

Art Makeover Fun with Photoshop

It was more fun with Photoshop this week as I re-worked or "made-over" some paintings so I can offer different color options of the same piece. I love drawing and painting (I feel lost if I haven't gotten messy and made something with my hands in a while) but working digitally--tweaking colors, making collages, processing photos--is so fun and satisfying because of how quickly you can try out new things, easily change something you don't like and see a "finished" product. And it's simple and clean--a nice, quick creative "fix" when the kiddos are resisting naptime . . . and bedtime . . . when everyone in general is not sleeping much at all and there's little quiet time for dragging out the elaborate creative projects!

WFeathers Rust a4 w border

My mother-in-law is a warm-color person, while I am usually a cool-color person and favor tones of blue in my work. But she's always saying to me that blue is so "cold," so I decided to see what happened when I tried to warm things up a bit. When I ended up with these rich fall colors of apple, plum, cinnamon and gold, I have to admit that I almost love my "harvest" version of "Words Like Feathers" better than the original!  And I thought this would be the perfect entry for Illustration Friday this week, where the theme is "stripes."  I had so much fun with the stripes in this painting that now I find myself leaning toward using stripes in every new painting!

bird in hand a4 RED

And you can see that I was still into the "linear" theme when I made this piece shortly after.  The original bird-in-hands is blue, but I adjusted the hue and added an almost transparent layer of gold to come up with this beautiful red.

red bird comfort

Then I decided to turn it into a Christmas card and wanted a background richer than white. So I de-saturated a watercolor background, gave it a gold-brown tone and added a linen texture. I'm really happy with the way it turned out! I think I might send these cards myself for Christmas this year. You can see them in my Etsy shop here.

Now I'm off to sketch with an actual pencil.  Last night I got so wrapped up in designing a new piece that when I looked in the mirror I saw that I had graphite smudges all over my face!  Does this ever happen to you?  I love when it happens, actually--it's almost as if your creative passion has become tangible and you can see it smeared all over your face! :)

Wishing you (and all my friends linking up at Studio JRU and Paint Party) lots of messy creativity this weekend,

38 comments:

  1. Wow ! These hands !! And I love the feathers too. Great line work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant work! I love the edits you did in Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous new pieces, I love what you've done with them. I know what you mean about getting stuff on your face too, I often find black paint all over mine. I hate to think what I look like when I leave the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll be able to resist playing with all my artwork in Photoshop! What power! And I love what you have done with your pieces!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all so beautiful! I was browsing your shop yesterday dreaming of which one I would pick. It's HARD to choose. I love the idea of this being your Christmas card!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work and love how you've used the digital programme. Happy PPF, x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooo I love what you've done.I know nothing of photoshop,I would love to know where and how to do it. Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work ...before and after your party of fun playing around with them:) I use stripes in lots of things too....something soooo very cool about stripes....Happy PPF to you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from In the Studio - beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I love the new colors. I wish I knew how to do digital work like this. It sounds like fun to be able to tweak paintings without getting all the paint out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's so beautiful! And it's great what you've done with it in Photoshop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! is right ~ Awesome art work and love your style, design and colors! ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy PPF ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time disappears so quickly once you start working with things digitally and it is such a great tool, but like you, I like to be messy more often than not, and nothing makes me happier than looking down and seeing painty hands...not so happy with paint on my clothes sometimes, but painty hands make me happy xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesomely cool effects! Love the pieces you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I call Photoshop my Magic Wand. I would have sworn you couldn't improve on the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Denise Thank you, Denise! And Kim Klassen offers a free mini e-course on Photoshop. Registration for the next one opens soon! http://www.kimklassencafe.com/elements-skinny-mini-ecourse/

    ReplyDelete
  17. @carlarey What a kind compliment! Thank you! And "magic wand"... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great experiments! Easy to fall in love with your new colors! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I LOVE this collection of art- so beautiful and original- I just LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your art is beautiful! The hands are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...that turned out gorgeous! i've wanted to experiment with photoshop elements but these days i'm enjoying blogs so much, and making art of course, that I don't make time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love your new twists on your art!! you're so creative. <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I understand being partial to blues, they seem soothing to me. I also like when I am stretched in another direction and it is successful, as you have done here with your new color palette. I enjoy the detail of your work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so good! The Christmas card idea is fantastic and the piece is original and symbolizes the season of peace beautifully. You got some serious talent!! Love the text and colors of your first image as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Marie Alice Thank you! I've actually always been a draw-er more than a painter. And now I like to do both at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Stephanie Mealor Corder Thank you! It means a lot to me to hear you say my work is "original." :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so MOVED by your work. It has a depth and intensity that I TOTALLY DIG!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this Sadee! It is so fun to see how much a piece can change with slight colors variations in photoshop. Just getting into doing this same thing myself and having so much fun with it. I love the warm fall color edits! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the vintage (to me it is) typewriter and the blue heart on it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow this is great :) i love your style its awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. amazing art!!! these are so cool and I'll certainly be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful!! I love that you use Photoshop to make other colors. I have Photoshop, but it scares me a bit. :) So much to learn...but, I guess I just have to dive in there & take baby steps. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my, they are all fabulously richly colored and designed! I loved them all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!