9.21.2011

Last fall I fell in love with Germany

fall foliage

Fall is my favorite, favorite, favorite! I always start feeling nostalgic this time of year and begin to crave chai lattes and the scents of pumpkin, cinnamon and smoke from a wood-burning fireplace.

old house mossy roof

But this Fall it's more than that. Last year at this time we were in the middle of our final week packing up our life in Colorado. One month later we flew "home" to Germany for the first time. And what I call my little "urban-forest" town on the moors at the northern edge of Hamburg was maybe the most beautiful picture of Fall that I have ever seen!

fall foliage and bridge

Although this past year has been really hard in some ways and my relationship with Germany a bit rocky, Fall is wooing me once again and reminding me of how I fell in love-at-first-sight with this place.

P.S. I must announce that this year we can wander around and enjoy the gloriously gloomy weather while staying warm and cozy inside transportation that has a heater and four wheels!  Although I am grateful for the character-building adventure that was the year-without-a-car (and trimmer from all the stroller-pushing and bicycle-riding!), what a blessing it is to drive das Auto sometimes instead of schlepping the girls around in the cold and the rain!

10 comments:

  1. I love the pics! Especially that cottage looking one in the middle! Wishing lots of cinnamon and pumpkin spices...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sadee, look beautiful...so glad your falling in love with it again... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying your "tours" immensely! I have always wanted to visit Germany and am jealous that you get to live there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful images, I can see why you fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm..... yes. Love the photos. Your comment about Das Auto made me think happy thoughts about my VW Jetta in the driveway. Glad to see you posting. Hope your relaxation time has restored you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, friends! I'm feeling a little rusty after a couple of weeks offline. Hope I can warm up a little and get back in the rhythm of posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delightful! No wonder you fell in love with the area.
    The joys of comfortable transport, more appreciated once you've been without it. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Sadee, your images make my longing for Fall so much stronger. It's also my favorite time of the year and I will be missing the changing colors, the smell of burning wood stoves and gorgeous autumn mists. Here everything is about to turn green (completely upside down!)and I can feel my internal clock longing for tucking up in front of the fireplace with a bowl of butternut squash soup (do you know it? - it's amazing!). Enjoy your beautiful Fall - your images are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, beautiful photos Sadee! Thank you for sharing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! fall foliage is amazing.... love the one with the house/barn.
    Your header painting is really nice, tree house

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being kind with your words and generous with your time!